Friday, June 10, 2005

A whale of a tale.....

When ~K~ was a toddler, my sister took care of her while I worked. At that time, two of my nieces were on a summer swim team. My sister would take ~K~ with them to the swim club and I would meet them there after work and pick up ~K~ and take her home. While the girls were practicing, ~K~ would usually cavort in the baby pool. Every day she'd ask me to go swimming with her but I was usually tired from work and at the time I did not have a swim suit.

Not that this should have mattered, I could have just gone swimming in my shorts and a shirt. There were plenty of other children with their moms in the pool and most of these moms wore their t-shirts and shorts over their suits anyway. Something I remember doing years ago too.

But I learned to be comfortable with who I am. I'm a big (albeit beautiful) woman. A wet t-shirt and shorts cannot hide that fact. And let's face it, we all have unsightly bumps and bulges and veins and spots and freckles and cheesey and saggy parts. But who cares. The thing is - WE ALL HAVE THEM. And more importantly, my baby wanted me to go swimming with her.

(I'm suddenly reminded of a line I read in a book whose title escapes me at the moment.... anyway, it is a great equalizer and it went something like this: "Remember, even the most beautiful woman in the room has a pimple on her butt." )

But I digress.... Back to the story.

So one day, after work, I went to the mall and bought a brand new swimsuit. I changed my clothes at the club and climbed down into the baby pool. Since the steps in the pool were covered with the more fearful toddlers and my child was hardly afraid of anything (except getting her face wet) we were stepping in and out at the side of the pool frequently. Mostly for me to get a towel to dry ~K's~ face but the point is, I was not just sitting in the water trying to hide.

In a way, I felt empowered. Here I was a big woman, wearing just a swimsuit. No t-shirt, no shorts, no coverup. Feeling comfortable with my body. Getting in and out of the pool. Where EVERYONE could see me. Perhaps inspiring other moms there to be comfortable with themselves too. Perhaps inspiring them to get into the pool in just their swimsuits.

When it was time to go, I just slipped my dress over my swimsuit, picked up ~K~ and her acoutrements and went home. I was in the bathroom getting ready to take a shower, when as I removed my new swim suit, I noticed something stuck to the inside of my thigh. It was the sanitary liner from the crotch of the new swimsuit.

It had probably been there from the moment I put the new swimsuit on. It had probably been there every time I put my leg up to step out of the pool and every time I put my leg down to step in. It had probably been there for EVERYONE to see.

So much for my feeling of empowerment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.