Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

I've seen lots of wildlife even though I've lived in the heart of a large city most of my life. Since New Orleans is below sea level, and completely surrounded by water as well as chock full of canals and large drainage ditches, I have seen snakes and frogs and turtles and fish and even the occasional alligator in strange places. But I was actually quite shocked to see the large turtle walking down the middle of my street this morning.

We do not live near any water supply from which s/he could have crawled. I suppose s/he could have been living in someone's yard although I would be very surprised as the neighborhood in which I stay is rife with savagery, neglect and abandonment. So few people here would actually care for a pet such as this. If it's not a big mean dog, hardly any "neighbor" would have the time or interest. The turtle's shell shows that it has recently lead a difficult life. Maybe it was caught for dinner.

~K~ was tickled pink as I quickly handed it to her in the backseat of the car, "It's just like the turtle I've never had." She then asked if she could name it for the day as we are all aware that we cannot keep it. She calls it "Speedy."

I spent the greater part of the morning on the phone trying to find an appropriate new home for the poor thing. I finally spoke with a representative of the state wildlife department who recommended that I just drop it off in one of the lagoons in the park. I'm not thrilled with the idea but I do know of a place with a few other similar looking turtles that might just make a good, fairly safe, home where we can occasionally visit.

I'm aware that there may be better alternatives - no lectures please. However, time is of the essence as I have two pets, with teeth and claws, who are exihibiting more interest in the turtle than I care to see. And the turtle bites too.

S/he's in the tub now and seems to be enjoying a swim. I'm glad its last night in captivity is a peaceful one. We've had enough surprises for one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.