Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Death and the not so average 10 year old

So our last hermit crab died. Thank bald headed christ. I've spent well over $200 on the whole set up and am glad to see it come to an end. NO, I will not buy another. That one would probably live forever.

(Been there, done that with the fish tank and now, $1000.00 - yes that's ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS - later, we have the crazy shark that can not, will not die! I should know, I've been trying to help him along for the last 5 years.)

Back to the crab.

~K~ showed absolutely no interest in this one except to occasionally put it in the hamster ball and shove it across the floor. (Hamster balls are used to give hermit crabs exercise - they are supposed to walk inside, not be rolled as if in a bowling alley, how this one survived this long surprises me).

From all I read, this crab was fairly old - a pretty good size (smaller than the other one that died last year - he was HUGE... I had to special order shells for him). He hasn't been overly active lately, having hibernated, of sorts, (our house is COLD) over the winter.

Anyway, he hadn't moved in a few days, so I picked him up the other evening and sniffed. P - U. I know what that smell means. We've done this twice before. I put him in a large matchbox and broke the sad news to ~K~.

"~K~, I have some bad news", I said, "I'm very sorry to tell you but the hermit crab is dead."

~K~ broke into tears and says,"We'll have to bury him like the other time and have a funeral."

As it was dark out, I placed the box into the freezer to keep until the morning. And promptly forgot all about him until today. A little while ago, I went into ~K~'s room to remind her about the crab.

"We need to bury him soon or I can just put him in the garbage." I'm not overly sympathetic, I know. But please notice that I did not say 'throw him away' or indicate in any form, any activity that may be construed as completely disrespecful. After all, we regularly eat seafood. Including crab cousins to our dearly departed.

~K~'s face showed all the emotion that death would cause in a ten year old. She turns to me and cries, "NO - WE HAVE TO BURY HIM!!!!!" And as she turns back to her pokemon game, she adds, "You can do it without me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.