Thursday, May 12, 2005

Deep Hatred.

I hate cockroaches! I can't emphasize that enough. And I'm not talking about those tiny little creepy-crawlies that they (meaning you yankees) just call 'cockroaches' elsewhere. I'm talking about those 3 inch long, dive bombing, impervious to even microwaves, will survive a nuclear holocaust, nasty, scurrying, hairy-legged, attack insects. I'm more scared of cockroaches than I am of bees and wasps which can actually kill me as I'm incredibly allergic.

When I was in Florida, they referred to these godless creatures as "Palmetto Bugs". Hah. The word "Bugs" makes one think of sweet little garden pests, like gentle lady bugs (although I just saw a report from England where those insects actually bite) or inch worms, or even butterflies.

Nothing at all like those huge, brown, winged creatures, just this side of bats with extra legs. For grasping onto you, of course. The thought of having one of them touch me gives me chills. And not the good kind. And even worse, is the sound of their legs scritching againsts a paper bag. Akin to fingernails on a chalkboard.

And I, it seems, must exude some type of pheromone that attracts them. I've been chased around and around a car by a cockroach. I've watched a cockroach crawl from a sewer grate down the block and bee-line directly to my feet. (Yes - I am ALWAYS on the lookout for the bugs especially in warm weather.) It never fails that the flying ones aim straight for my head.

When I come home at night and walk up to the front porch, I'm always doing the cockroach dance where I stomp my feet and move quickly in order to scatter the occasional roach that is lying in wait. I know that they know I'm coming.

Oh, and YES, I scream. I S C R E A M! My family has come to know the 'roach scream' and they now take their grand old time coming to my rescue. As if it's a humongous burden. When the old cats were young, they would love to pounce on the bugs. My current cat and dog like to play with the bugs but aren't in a hurry to help me out. You can't make a cat do anything that it doesn't want to do in its own time.

In warm weather we spray, frequently, all the nooks and crannies and around the doors where the roaches might enter the house. However, since our house is very very old - over 150 years - and is on a slight tant due to the shifting water table (New Orleans is BELOW sea level), sometimes the cracks and spaces are quite large.

Late last night, I noticed a roach near the front door. I didn't scream. much. I grabbed the insecticide and sprayed around the hall and front and bedroom doors until a thick cloud formed. I then hoped that between the good Lord and the cat, I would be spared the horror of awakening with a roach on or near me (It has happened before. More than once. I'm telling you, they know how scared I am.)

This morning I didn't see any carcasses in the hall which is sometimes the case after such a spraying. However, as I was getting dressed, I happened to glance up - for what reason I do not know - at the light fixture attached to our 12 foot ceilings. And there, THERE, hanging by ONE FOOT - was a HUGE cockroach at least 3 and 1/2 inches long. And the rest of it was wiggling. Directly over my bed. As if it got stuck in the middle of its kamikaze plan to drop down and crawl over me and touch me.

It was like a scene from Joe's Apartment: the Lamp. But worse, because it was happening to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.