Tuesday, October 04, 2005

when it rains, it pours.

We didn't leave Texas on the day I planned. We took one more day. My parents and ~K~ and I could not part that easily. We wanted to take it slow and savor the last moments. And we did, up until the time my dad said to me, "If you go, we all go. Together."

So I repacked the car. Again. Leaving things behind so we could each take all the essentials as my dad reminded me - "We've lost so much already, this other stuff doesn't matter. Leave it. Let's just get in the car and go."

And that's how we left Texas. Together. Me and ~K~, the folks and the dog AND the cat.

Right now we're back in Louisiana, staying with friends who are trying to help us get settled and less than an hour's drive from our former home in New Orleans. It's about as close as we can get for the time being.

However, a few family members are not happy with this decision. Not happy at all. They feel that somehow I've manipulated my parents into leaving Texas with me. As if I had that kind of power. If I could manipulate them - I'd be pushing for a Disney Cruise. Or something that would actually be enjoyable while living out of a suitcase.

I think too, deep down they are unhappy that we, the folks and I, live together. Because we want to. Happily. And because the parents want ~K~ and I to be with them. And that we are content with the arrangement. It's our business but they were making it theirs.

Apparently, they had these ideas of what our lives should be like and were, for lack of a better word, manipulating circumstances so that we would be forced to do what they thought was best. Without considering all the ramifications. Without really understanding the things we deal with on a daily basis. Without considering our needs and wants. Without knowing who we truly are.

They considered only their own secret family agenda.

And my dad keeps reminding me, "No one ever asked me what I wanted."

But we shouldn't have to live according to someone else's plans. And I don't understand who we are hurting. Or perhaps they think I'm spending all my folks money and there won't be an inheritance coming their way? Maybe they think I have a secret drinking/drug/gambling habit. You never know. You have to wonder what their motives are.

To tell you the truth, I don't think some people really understand the concept of family.... or that 3 generations could love each other or be so tied to each other that the thought of living apart is devastating. As devastating, if not more, than a hurricane. Why can't they be happy that we function well, and are happiest together?

And now, NOW, we're, more specifically, I am being threatened by these same "family members" with kidnapping charges - can you believe this - or somesuch other nonsense? And being reported for not enrolling my daughter in school (apparently folks just don't quite get the whole homeschooling thing - if I wasn't serious about that, would I have bothered to save her books on my trip into the city)?

My mother is incredibly hurt and devastated that some of her children would behave in this way. My father is pissed and disappointed that they would hurt their mother so much and attempt to bully us into doing what they want. I am angry and determined more than ever to keep us together.

And I'll do it. You mark my words.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger shrimpfriedrice said…

    OH. MY. GOD. Sometimes family can be crazy. Sorry you have to have the added stress of crazy relatives. You are lucky to have the support and love of your parents. Keep your spirits up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.