Sunday, September 18, 2005

Home Sweet Home.... not so sweet anymore

I'm trying to make arrangements to get from Houston to New Orleans within the next few days. My car apparently is still safe and sound and I want to pick it up ASAP before something actually does happen to it. Being downtown and all. And we desperately need a reliable vehicle here.

I also want to try to go to my house and get a few things, if I can. Stuff we can really use and stuff that I can't afford to replace right now.

And I'm incredibly nervous.

Yes, we lived in a dangerous area. Yes, there was a high crime rate with frequent drive-by shootings and drug deals gone bad. Right on our corner even. But I wasn't really scared. I was never afraid to be in MY city. MY home.

I am now.

While we sat in the house for that week with all the chaos occuring around the area, we felt relatively safe where we were. Completely surrounded by water. Our own moat. And we were high up in our castle.

Since we only had a small radio receiving one station, we had limited information and didn't see the pictures of what had been happening. We didn't hear the reports that the rest of the world was privy to. We really didn't know what was happening in the world outside of our fortress.

Since we left, I have pretty much avoided all reports about the Hurricane. And its aftermath. I can't stomach it. I have too much to cry about already, for us and for my loved ones.

My friend C tells me to prepare myself for the sights I will see and the changes wrought by Katrina. I'm not ready. I don't want to go back. For the first time in my life, I'm afraid to go home.

Wish me luck on my latest adventure. At least this time, I'm taking a change of clothes.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Good luck and I'll be checking back to see what you post.

    When I got back home after Hurricane Ivan, it was shocking to see what had happened here, and it's been slow-going getting homes built back. But I cannot imagine what New Orleans looks like.

    My sister and I always go and stay at the Place D'Armes in December every year and go out to eat and shopping and all the fun stuff. We have reservations for December and I'm waiting to see how things are in the area before we make a decision on whether we should keep our plans to go there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.