Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Merci Beaucoup, Muchas Gracias

Thank you.

Simple words yet completely heartfelt. Thank you. For the thoughts and prayers and whatever else you've done in the name of the Katrina disaster effort.

David, to let you know... on that Sunday, the 6th day after the hurricane, we got word that the Coast Guard was going to force us out within 2 days. We would be allowed 1 bag each and NO pets. I decided then and there to take my chances and get out first with the animals. Alas my cat was nowhere to be found in the house so the dog, my daughter and I left - first by row boat, then by helicopter, then plane and then bus.

At each place they asked where I was headed and my response was "where ever I can go with my dog." We ended up in West Palm Beach, Florida. Go figure. The whole time I was resigning myself to the fact that although my family would be safe upon rescue, my precious cat would be lost.

A mere 6 hours after I left, not the 24 - 48 hours as thought, the Coast Guard did arrive at my house to force my family to leave. Thankfully, the cat showed up and even more thankfully, my parents were allowed to take her with them.

We've all been together for the past week. It's like we'd never been apart except now both pets have to sleep with me.

Meanwhile, I've spoken to almost all of my close friends and they, and their pets, are safe. Their material losses, as ours, are devastating. But we all have what's most important. Each other.

I think back to the day after the storm hit. I had a bad headache, ~K~ was most irritating and I was so very sad. Then I realized, if I could feel pain, if I could be annoyed and if I could still cry, then I was still alive. I came to appreciate the pain, the aggravation and the tears as part of living. I remind myself daily.

And I tell ~K~ the same thing I've been telling her for years when she talks about wishing we were rich and what we could have and what we would do... we may not have much but we have each other so we are really very wealthy indeed.

I can't say the words enough to convey the emotion behind them. I'm so thankful and so grateful and so appreciative of what I do have.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You are rich, not with money but with love. You are truly amazing and I am so pleased you are OK.

    Your words before the Hurricane hit have haunted me. I saw them AFTER Katrina arrived and I was so worried for you, someone I had never met. Someone whos blog I had only just discovered.

    Hang in there.. I'm certain everything will work out just fine.
    Peace x

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Queen of the Universe said…

    Your message moves me. Thank you for stopping by here and especially for your concern.

    I hope you'll return to read this blog when it's more upbeat and positive, funny and enlightening. (Alas without humility)

    Hopefully, and I think it will be soon, I'll be back to my old sarcastic, neurotic, idiotic self. First I just have to purge this stuff and I figure this is the place for it. For now.

    A little lagniappe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.