Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The surreal life, hurricane style.

It still feels strange to do regular stuff. We spent the other day driving to the New Orleans, stopping first to try to get a blue tarp roof for our home. This was followed by a trip to my uncle's house to commiserate, to empathize, to see it - the damage - with our own eyes. His neighborhood never floods. Well, it didn't until Katrina. And now my elderly uncle has the undesirable task of cleaning and repairing - without electricity - what's left of the fruits of 60 years of marriage to try to make it habitable for my elderly aunt. It's just so sad. So horribly terribly sad. And so surreal.

Then we went to our house. We plan to make regular trips, to clean, to pack, to pitch out, to thwart looters, to be home again, if only for a little while. It's so empty - the city. So quiet, so still. Nothing even close to what it was before. I still can't believe it's all happened.

And then when we arrived back here, KTG invited me to accompany them to Chili's for drinks (yes, home of the baby-back ribs). I wanted something fruity and ordered a daquiri. I could barely taste it. Ok now, I'll fess up, I had two cause it was 2-for-1 night. And I just I tossed them back like a glass of water. I just might sleep well for once. But the point was it seemed to be normal on the outside but on the inside I still felt strange. Still homeless. Still jobless.

I wonder when I will feel normal again? ever?

I am currently looking/trying to purchase a home in this area - about an hour's drive WSW of New Orleans. Close enough to make frequent trips but far enough away that life continues as normal usual.... malls are open, movies play in theatres, grocery items still on the shelves. Regular city life. If only I could enjoy it more.

It would be nice to be in a home of our own for the holidays that will soon be upon us. ~K~'s favorite holiday is Halloween. She keeps asking where we will go trick-or-treating. Meanwhile, all of our decorations and her gorgeous "headless ghost" costume. Gone. Gone. gone.

My mom's favorite holiday is Thanksgiving when all of the family gather under one roof. Well, I don't think there's a roof where we all can go. We don't have room here and my dad certainly is not going to travel, especially not now.

I don't even know if he wants to participate. Not since the state representative for elder abuse stopped by to check on my them as my brother apparently reported me for mistreating my folks. (I'm not writing this from prison - obviously it all turned out ok.)

And my favorite holiday is Christmas. Too bad though that I lost all of my Xmas decorations and collectibles in the flood. Some were family heirlooms too. We'll just have to start over.

But the worst thing is that this is the third time I've bought supplies. You know the basics for home living - toilet paper, paper towels, envelopes, air freshener. That sort of stuff. Every time we move, we end up having to leave more stuff behind.

And last night I heard that the hurricane hunters are going out to check an area of tropical depression in the Atlantic.

Please. Oh please. Let it be nothing. I don't think we can keep doing this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.