Friday, July 22, 2005

Stepping on the soapbox.

I’m not asking for much.

All I want to do is survive the day. And then attempt to sleep, so that I can wake up tomorrow and try to do it again. Without getting angry. Without too much physical pain. Without crying.

I spend every day fighting myriad battles, solving endless dilemmas. I don’t want to debate. I don’t want to philosophize. I don’t have the energy.

I don’t want to find the hidden meaning. I’m not searching for anything. I’m not waiting to be rescued. I don’t require salvation.

I have no need to think deep thoughts. I have no desire to change the whole world. I’m not an advocate for any particular cause other that which directly affects my family.

I am content to leave the religious, political and cultural arguments and decisions in the more capable, knowledgeable, and experienced hands of others.

So, why am I telling this to you? What do I expect of you?

I want you to:

Realize that the customer is not always right. No one is perfect. NOT EVEN YOU. You can’t always get what you want, when you want it. No matter how much money you have or powerful position you hold. Hopefully, someone, somewhere has the cajones to sometimes tell you “NO.”

Understand that every person is important. Every job is meaningful, no matter how distasteful it appears to you. Remember, without sanitation engineers, the world would be an even dirtier place to live.

Do your job. Pull your weight. Earn your keep. Contribute. To your family. To your co-workers. To charities. To society. Do it positively. Positively do it.

Don’t be afraid to discipline your child/ren. You are supposed to be their parent, not their friend. Supervise them. At home and especially in public. Do not tolerate bullying behavior. Teach your child/ren to respect others and keep their hands to themselves. Set limits. Hearing "no" won't psychologically scar them for life. Oh, and regularly apply sunscreen on kids, if not on your own skin.

Drive on the right, this is America. Pay attention and stay in your lane. Use your turn signal. Speed up when merging onto highways as it is supposed to be an "acceleration lane." DO NOT STOP ON THE INTERSTATE. Park in only one space and between the lines, others need to open their doors too. Designate another driver if under any chemical influence. Remember, tailgating is NOT going to make me go any faster but it might just tempt me to suddenly stop.

Do not blow your horn at me to hurry up when I am loading my car or getting my stuff together to leave. I’m in the parking spot. It’s mine as long as I need it. I may be having trouble with the seat belt or dropped my keys under the seat. I may want to make a phone call before I drive away. Whatever the reason, if you are in such a hurry that you can’t wait for me then MOVE THE HELL ON.

Count. If you have more than 10 or 15 items go to another line. No, eight cans of soup do not count as one item. If I have been waiting in line for 20 minutes do not expect to get in front of me with your one purchase. I’m just as busy, tired and impatient as you are. Remember, like you, I have a life and I don’t like spending it in line any longer than necessary either. The people who have been waiting behind me feel the same way too. Check your change before you leave the counter and your receipt before you leave the store.

Take responsibility for your actions, strive to do what is right and admit when you are wrong. Treat me and mine fairly, with respect and I/we will reciprocate.

Don’t lecture me. Don’t seek to convert me. Don't interrupt me.

And, unless you have a realistic/practical solution for my problems or are willing to jump in with both feet to help me, SHUT THE HELL UP.

Thank you and have a nice day.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.