Monday, July 18, 2005

Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear...

Just sing, sing a song. The Carpenters.


In my family, it started with my aunt. While rocking my cousins to sleep, she would sing lullabyes. But in order to continue the conversation, she would sing whatever it was she wanted to say to us instead of the actual lullabye lyrics. She'd sing "would you get me a cup of coffee" or "grab that ashtray over there" or even "pick me up some tomatoes when you go to the grocery." The babies never noticed as long as the pitch, cadence and melody were appropriate.

When my nieces and nephews were born, we continued the tradition, in a manner of speaking. We changed the lyrics of not only lullabyes but popular songs to suit whatever situation was occurring. And we'd often sing to entertain each other, not just to rock babies to sleep,.

Now I know that we're not alone in doing this. "Weird Al" Yankovic is well known for his song parodies and in the world of Fandom this is known as filking. But our repetoire has become quite extensive. Please believe me when I tell you that we have a song for practically every thing you can think of. EVERY Situation. From diarrhea to distemper to disco fever, from arguments to zebras we have it covered.

So, some time ago, while chatting with a friend, and fellow fen, we happened to discuss filking. And I told him about our family's various compositions. He didn't believe me. He challenged me saying, "I'll bet you don't have a song about wearing underwear." And as the smile began to spread across my face (for OF COURSE we have a song about underwear - that's easy), he quickly added, "ON YOUR HEAD"

I immediately rendered him speechless with the following ditty (or with my performance, I'm not sure which is more awe inspiring):

(to the tune of "Popeye the Sailor Man, appropriately sung while wearing underwear on your head)
(with apologies)

I'm Popeye the Panty-head Man.
I wear panties whenever I can.
I've worn bras, slips and garters
since I grew out of my Carter's.
I'm Popeye the Panty-head Man.

Toot-toot.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My family does the same thing. When my boys kept gettin jellyfish stings on their privates (ouch!) at the beach last year, my dad had some diaper rash stuff he loaned us as first aid so we made up this song in his honor. BTW, it helps to know that DS2's name for his penis is his "winkus".
    (To the tune of "My Darling Clementine)
    Dr. Winkus, Dr. Winkus,
    The Alber Schweitzer of the sea!
    Dr. Winkus loves to help us
    And gives us meeedicine we need.
    The jelly fish all run for cover
    When Dr. Wiiiiinkus does appear.
    For they know that it is hopeless
    To sting aaaaanybody's rear!

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Queen of the Universe said…

    OMG that'd be so funny if it wasn't so sad about the need for that song. But you have me beat. We have never had a song about penis stinging jellyfish and their cure. Thank you so much for sharing and brightening my day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.