Monday, March 05, 2007

If it's not one thing, it's your mother.

I found an index card on the kitchen table on which I had previously written some information about a special cross that I had purchased as a gift for my mother. I had placed the card and cross in a cardboard box. I then put the box in a drawer in the bedroom dresser.

Picture a box only slightly smaller than a tissue box. Hold your hands that far apart. You get the general idea of the size of the box now, right?

Me: Mom, this card was in a box in the dresser. Why did you take it out?

Mom: I didn't take it out. There wasn't a box in the dresser. The card was just in the drawer.

Me: No, the card was in a box. I put it there myself. I put the box in the dresser drawer.

Mom: There wasn't a box in the drawer.

Me: Yes. There was. It was a brown cardboard box. The box was this (spreading my hands apart the approximate length of a tissue box) big.

Mom: There wasn't a box in there. I cleaned out the dresser today.

Me: Yes, there was a box in the dresser. I put it in there myself some time ago. It was still there the last time I checked - last week.

Mom: I didn't see a box and didn't take that card out of anything. It was just in the drawer.

Me: The card was in the box. I put it in there. The box contained a cross. I put it in the drawer. It was to be your Easter present. I wrote "Happy Easter Momma" on the box. It was a brown cardboard box. Only slightly smaller than a kleenex box (again, showing her with my hands, the approximate size of the box).

Mom: It was not in there. There never was a box in there.

(This conversation was repeated about 6 times, all the while searching through the drawers as my mother continually insisted that there was never anything like that in the dresser.)

Me: (very exasperated - finally giving up) Well, when you do find it. That was to be your Easter gift. Happy Easter.

Mom: It will show up with the other thing I can't find.

Me: (deciding to give it one last try - I'm hard headed. I admit it.) The box contained a cross on a little stand (This may have been the most important piece of info. Had I said that earlier I could have saved myself a headache). It was about this (holding my fingers about 6 inches apart) big.

Mom: OH. I found that. I put that cross on the shelf.

Me: WHAT!?! (seeing the cross high on the bookshelf) THAT'S IT!!!! Where did you find that cross?

Mom: In the dresser.

Me: Isn't that what I said? A cross in a brown cardboard box in a drawer in the dresser.

Mom: You said a "box with a cross in it." I thought you meant a little cross on a chain that you would wear around your neck.

Me: So where's the box?

Mom: There was no box.

Me: (sighing) Happy Easter.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God Bleass BUBBLES!!
    ....We don't needs no stinking boxes. L,ktg

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    very funny.
    Thanks for the smiles.

    Take Care
    Michael

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.