Wednesday, August 09, 2006

KTG, this one's for you

Every morning, I watch classic reruns on TV Land. "Green Acres" (1965), "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961), "I Love Lucy" (1951). I hadn't viewed a Lucy episode in many many years. Neither Lucy nor "The Brady Bunch" (1969). Why? you ask... well even if you don't ask, I'll tell you. It's too stressful. Too nerve wracking. Some thing, some plan is going to go awry and someone ends up in trouble. At least one of the Brady's and always Lucy. I used to project myself into the programs and think about what I would do if I were in those situations. I would hate to feel the embarrassment, the humiliation, first hand. Second hand was bad enough.

I think everyone wants to be the star of the show, have the spotlight on them, be the center of attention for a little while at least. But the light that shines on one's outstanding performances is still the same one that accentuates the poorer ones as well. Every blemish, every error is highlighted just as much as the accomplishments. I don't need that kind of scrutiny in my life.

And then not too long ago, it hit me. Just because both Lucy and I had red hair, didn't mean her personality quirks and constant mishaps reflected back on me. Oh sure, I've had my share of crazy antics but I didn't have to worry about attempting to outsmart anyone like a husband, like Ricky Ricardo. Except for my parents, I'm really accountable to no one but myself. And most of the plans I do come up with are fairly well thought out as I've never really been one of those "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of gal.

Then I realized. I'm not Lucy. I'm Ethel. The cohort in crime, but the one who almost always comes out smelling like a rose. Not the star of the show, but a strong supporting character whose presence is actually quite necessary. I mean, where would Lucy be without her?

Yes, Ethel is content to live vicariously through her best buddy and contractually obligated to weigh 20 lbs. more. However, her song and dance talents far far surpass Lucy's so that every now and then Ethel's own star is allowed to shine in a small way.


But who is the Lucy in my life? Who is my brilliant and talented comedienne, always having something up her sleeve, always trying to outsmart her clever spouse? It wasn't hard to find the Lucille Ball of my show. KTG.

Oh the stories I could tell. If only I could remember them. Going along with her wacky schemes simply because she was so much more ingenious than I could ever be. Always aware that one day we could get in real trouble - but then it would be Lucy who'd get arrested, wouldn't it? And Ethel would be the one to bail her out. That's me. The faithful sidekick.

I try to talk KTG out of some of her schemes, give her a dose of reality. I really do. Try, that is. I'm not always successful and more often than not, find myself involved in some sort of coverup for her creative plans. I don't mind though. Sometimes, I'll admit, it is fun. And sometimes, life with Fred, well, could use a little spicing up.

Life would be so very boring without my Lucy. Without KTG. Her bold and daring ideas and subsequent adventures are indeed the things Hollywood screen writers wish they could come up with. It's rarely dull, that I can assure you. And since I am contractually bound to her, having sold my soul to the devil to avoid jail time of my own, I look forward to our future episodes.

And I can now watch the other Lucy shows. Stress free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.