Friday, July 01, 2005

Or blow me a kiss, And that's lucky too!

I am incredibly superstitious. I actually rap my knuckles whenever I say "knock on wood." I don't walk under ladders, am careful about mirrors and even make a little hand gestures to ward off the "evil eye". I wish on the first star of the evening, wishbones, fallen eyelashes and dandelions. I even have a whole routine to perform whenever I drive under a trestle with a moving train.

So it should come as no surprise that many years ago when I was a student, I overheard some of my classmates talking about a good luck phrase to say on the first of each month and quickly adopted the ritual as my own.

I say it on the first of every month without fail. Every single month. Usually I try to speak it aloud before saying anything else.

RABID RABBIT.

In the past 23 years, I have only forgotten to say it twice. Not that anything really awful happened when I didn't. (Uhmmm.... knock wood) Truthfully, something bad did occur once despite uttering the phrase in a timely manner. But I justify it by saying that Shit Happens and it could have been worse. Right?

However, as I recall, my classmates mentioned another phrase to be repeated on the second of the month - just in case you forgot on the first but I have never quite remembered it. If you've heard of it - please, share it with me. It might be lucky for the both of us as you know what they say, "A bit of perfume always clings to the hand that gives the rose."




Chim chiminey, Chim chiminey, Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when I shake 'ands with you.

Mary Poppins

2 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Milt Bogs said…

    Someone told me I had to say "white rabbits" but I could never remember when I was supposed to say it. I said it quite a lot. I guess it must have been the wrong day.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Queen of the Universe said…

    While doing my search - I read about that too. I suppose it depends on where you live. Among the phrases, some people say "white rabbit", some say "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" and others, like me, say completely idiotic nonsense. However, I guess it also comes down to faith. I believed that MY phrase would bring me luck. In my mind, it did. And I know my NEW phrase will bring me even more luck. I'm buying a lottery ticket today.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.