Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"Stupid is as Stupid Does"

So I go to the gynecologist yesterday (the "O. G. B. Y." as referred to by another patient) which causes me great stress. I hate the whole routine at this particular clinic and hate the student doctors I see there even more. This time I planned to refuse to participate in the first part - the measurement of the weight and blood pressure. I know I'm overweight and I know that going to this clinic makes my pressure shoot through the roof. I then spend the entire appointment time arguing with the doctors about the causes for these elevated numbers instead of the real reasons I am in the clinic. Happens every time.

I tell the nurse that I have not and will not have my weight and pressure checked today. Obviously, NO ONE has ever refused to participate in this part of the routine before. She was incredulous. "Well, that's the basis for the doctor's to make your diagnosis".

What I'm thinking: "What on God's green earth does my weight and pressure have to do with an examination of my crotch. How does this affect my PAP smear?" What I say: "The doctors will get over it." I'm trying to be polite and remain calm.

During the course of the exam, I am asked no less than three times if I'm ready to have my weight and pressure checked. Every time I explain that I already know I'm overweight and at this moment I know that my pressure is elevated simply from the stress of being here, not to mention the additional stress of having this conversation over and over. It will not be a true indication of my regular blood pressure measurement. Also, I do not want to spend any more time discussing these things in this clinic. I will deal with them in my regular med clinic.

It fell on deaf ears. Manipulative ears at that.

At the end of the torture session, when I am called to schedule my mammogram, the nurse says. "In order to schedule this appointment, I have to have your weight and blood pressure."

What I'm thinking: "WTF?" What I say: "Well I guess we're not scheduling it then, are we?" (What I'm thinking: "Manipulative bitch!")

"You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar, but you can also catch more flies with garbage than either of them other two - assuming' you are into catchin' flies."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.