Monday, October 19, 2009

25 years ago.....

I saw a movie that I immediately loved. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eight Dimension.

Gosh, even the quotes from that movie are outstanding:

Sealed with a curse,as sharp as a knife. DOOMED IS YOUR SOUL AND DAMNED IS YOUR LIIIIFE!

where are we going? planet 10 when are we going? real soon.

Ohhh ... the deuce you say.

History is-a made at-a night! And character is what you are in the dark.

Laugh while you can, Monkey-Boy.


I recently bought the DVD and introduced ~k~ to Buckaroo. And Perfect Tommy. And Emilio Lizardo.

I thought that she was ready and able to appreciate it. I knew she would love John Bigboote. She's hooked and I'm thrilled.

25 years ago, I became a registered Blue Blaze Irregular. I think that somewhere I might still have my pin, saved from Katrina. I still use my BBI name as an online ID. At the same time, I was an official double agent and had a "John" name. Years later when ~K~ was born, it was one of the nicknames I used for her.

This movie was my first real step into fandom. I mean sure, I loved Star Wars and sat in line for hours to see the 2nd and 3rd installments and collected posters (I mean "one sheets") and other paraphernalia.... I watched Star Trek regularly. Buck Rogers, Battlestar Gallactica (Lt. Starbuck.... my oh my I loved him.) And man, I saw Logan's Run so many times I could quote it as much as I could quote the RHPS.

But it was Buckaroo that brought out the inner geek, made me take the extra steps into fandom. And I'm tickled pink that ~K~ gets it. And we can share these moments.

And for a little while, in her eyes, her mom is cool.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.