Sunday, November 19, 2006

Egrets. I've had a few.

I collect 1984 Louisiana World Exposition memorabilia. I had a small but wonderful collection (i.e. bought incredibly cheap and cannot be replaced for the same price) and lost most of it to Hurricane Katrina, so I started over. This time around, I have room for World's Fair art. I've purchased several unusual posters and prints and am always on the lookout for more (at incredibly cheap prices as well).

I receive regular notices from eBay when new stuff is up for auction. Recently I got an email directing me to the following item and description:




    This colorful print is of a Penguin in the marshy reeds and there is a small expo logo on the bottom left corner and the artists signature on the bottom right. The print on the bottom reads “Louisiana World Exposition – New Orleans, Louisiana, May 12 – November 11, 1984". The signature of the artist is ‘Hugh Ricks’.

    This item is in excellent condition. Ready to be framed or displayed!

    A great piece of historical memorabilia.



Did you notice the, uhm, description of the bird?

It says it's a 'Penguin.'

Uh-huh.

PENGUIN.

Like from Antarctica, penguin.

Like living where it's snow and ice, penguin.

Like little men in black tuxedos, penguin.

Let's look a little closer at this poster and the so called "penguin" in the marshy reeds (as isn't that the natural habitat of penguins?)



Yep, in Southeast Louisiana we have plenty of penguins roaming the swamps. And isn't that the state bird too? The wild southern penguin.

Really.

So, let's look at a picture of a genuine penguin for comparison.



Oh yeah. Now I can see how they might have been confused. The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it?

So I wrote to the auction seller and said:
Hi, actually not a question, just a comment. This is NOT a print of a Penguin. :)

To which they responded:
Sorry, we do mistakes sometimes. If you don't mind telling us what the bird is, then we will update the listing. Thanks in advance for your time!

Let me now summarize for my deaf readers.
THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TYPE OF BIRD IT WAS SO THEY JUST WROTE PENGUIN.

Uh-huh.

They didn't even attempt to write "pelican" which might have been closer.

Here's a picture of a brown pelican.



And actually, I could see this mistake happening. The pelican photo does resemble the bird on the poster. And pelicans do live in marshy reeds. And we do have pelicans in LA as they are our state bird and on our state flag. And a pelican was the mascot for the '84 World's Fair.

So truly, I could understand writing "P E L I C A N."

But NOOOOOOOO.

They wrote "P E N G U I N."

And of course, I replied to their message with:
While I'm no wildlife expert, I'd most likely call it a heron or egret (another name for heron).

"How does she know this?" you ask.

I friggin' looked it up.

Duh.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, but it takes so much more time to look it up and be right. It's so much easier to just put a name in. And they probably picked penguin cause penguins are all over now, in movies and such, they probably figured it would help sell the poster.

    Jeez, I miss the world fair. I enjoyed it when it was here.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I found this to be a funny and interesting read as to the the name of of the bird whether penguin or pelican funny thing is if you look closely you can see both birds within the same picture. So I found it intresting and wonder if maybe by chance the artist actually intentionallyplaced the siloiutte of a penguin within the pelican.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Haaahaaaahaaaa! Loved your informative explanation of why this ebay seller may not have gone on to upper learning. I will be selling one of these Penquins on eBay as well but SO glad I now know WHAT kinda bird it is! You made me laugh, thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.