Tuesday, October 26, 2004

What do you look like?

An oft asked question, usually within minutes of an Internet chat encounter. How do I answer? And what makes me reluctant to reply? On the one hand, if I don’t describe myself - they wonder what’s wrong with me. Conversely, if my self-appraisal depicts anything other than one of the world’s beautiful people with cover model looks, I risk rejection and the deadly silence of an empty in-box. That is, if I give an honest assessment.

I’ve tried hedging the issue by asking, "Why do you want to know?" where the standard reply is a variant of "I like to see who I’m talking to." Uh-huh. Right. As former chat partner honestly confirmed in their second and final post, "You might be unsatisfactory in some physical way. (People) are plenty fickle, believe me."

Me, unsatisfactory? By whose standards? A virtual stranger’s? Yet somehow even rejection by strangers bothers me. If they read my description and don’t write back - what will I see the next time I peer into the mirror? Every minor flaw will appear astronomical. I hate to even think about the major ones.

But why put myself through any kind of scrutiny? You can’t see me. At this point, I can be, or look like, anyone I choose. You don’t even know if I’m telling the truth. And if I’m good at deception - you will probably never know. Send you a picture? Sure, why not. Who says it is actually me in the photo?

Yet why should I have to stoop to subterfuge to maintain an internet relationship? The idea is ludicrous although it happens to be quite common. We meet on-line to share, and discuss thoughts and ideas with other people who hide behind screen names, avatars and personas.

Physical beauty is subjective and only skin deep. I’ve met more than a few folks who are eloquent, learned, deliciously funny, quite interesting and even desirously sexy, many of whom could be described as less than perfect (try fat, bald or even ugly). Similarly, I personally know some drop-dead gorgeous imbeciles who couldn’t find their way out of a paper bag with neon arrows pointing to the only exit. Even if you were holding their shapely, well-manicured hands.
Obviously, I’m not impressed by looks.

It’s not difficult for me to choose a chat partner. Make me laugh, flirt with me, tease me, sympathetically listen to my daily woes or intelligently debate with me and I guarantee that I’ll always reply. Don’t bother to tell me what you look like, it doesn’t matter. And I’ll never ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





As the owner of this blog, I assume no responsibility for any errors, or inaccuracies, in its content or judgement. I am not a doctor or lawyer, nor do I portray one on TV. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Batteries not included. Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Health. Accessories sold separately. Not to be used by children under 3. May cause drowsiness. No animals were injured in the making of this website. Do not operate heavy machinery. No shirt, No shoes, No service. Do not overinflate. Stay back 300 feet. Recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists who chew gum. Caution: Makes wide turns. Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Parental guidance suggested. Do not use during last three months of pregnancy. Objects may be smaller than they appear. Simulated picture. Sold for the prevention of disease only. Artificially flavored. All rights reserved. Not for human consumption. Stops at all railroad crossings. Contents under pressure. Best when used by expiration date. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. No smoking. Prices may vary. Configuration subject to change. Plus tax, title and license. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Monitor sold separately. Found to be only 99.9% effective as a contraceptive. Plus shipping and handling. Do not freeze. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. Please rewind. Not used for purpose intended. Adults only. This tag is to be removed only by consumer. No carryouts. You agree to these Terms and Conditions by using this site. Available for a limited time only at participating locations. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Discontinue if redness or swelling occurs. Not animal tested. FDA approved. Unattended children will be given candy and a free puppy. Contents may settle during shipping. Stir occasionally. Do not discontinue use unless directed by your physician. Keep out. Do not use if seal is broken. For chronic continued constipation consult your doctor. Store at room temperature. Results may vary. Shake before using. Flammable. Patent pending. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Due to the graphic content, parental discretion is advised.